Sunday, May 24, 2015

Avelyn Paige



Damaged by Avelyn Paige
Description
Evie Carter has faced trials and tribulations her entire life. Her teenage years have been ripped away from her as she battles cancer. Just when things can’t get any worse, her doctor delivers the news that it’s finally time to make a life or death decision. Her options are limited and come with deadly consequences. The miracle drug that is meant to save her life changes her on a cellular level. She might not be damaged anymore, but she might just be damned in her new life.

Thoughts by Cherri-Anne 
5 Stars
 
It’s in that moment…  
 
**AUTHOR HAS CORRECTED THE MINOR EDITING ISSUES AS OF MAY 29/15**
 
when I panic. It's in that moment, I know my life is over.  It's in that moment...WOW!!  This is a complicated book & review to write on it!  That is a good thing though, trust me!!  Please do not misunderstand my “floundering” for the correct words to aptly describe how this book flows.  IT IS A TERRIFIC STORY!  There may not be a lot of excitement like you might find in other books, but this is THE book that is setting the stage for the rest of the series, and by the time I got to the ending, I understand just exactly WHY we were experiencing everything with Evie and couldn’t wait for….Nope!  Sorry!  No spoilers from me!!!  This is definitely a tough book to read, at least for the first part!  I am not sure just how many times I thought I would break down crying, or stop reading altogether!  However I was also drawn into the story too deep to just 'give up', so on I kept reading!  And I am so glad I did otherwise I would have missed out on a terrific story!!!!  Now I have never had cancer so I will never assume to fully understand everything that you personally go through on that journey, but I get the impression that Avelyn has dealt with this based on the way it is written, the 'little' details but also the feelings & sensations, emotions and heartbreak.  I did go through my own "hospital adventure" so I knew just what Evie was going through with the nurses always taking blood, regardless if the sun was up or not, the PIC or PICC line, etc.  Given all that, I think that is why I connected with the story & Evie and had to find out just what was going to happen.  Of course, I could never have been prepared for what DID happen and WOW!  And ummm, hello?!?!  I never had a Tommy of my own!  Not that I want to know him in his SGT. Jackson mode mind you!  I very much was enthralled with and couldn't wait to see just where this was going to end up!  I never knew who to trust, who not to trust, who to like or hate.  I found this to be an easy read only because the story moves along pretty quickly, almost in the same way a lighthearted story would.  It is a deep, serious subject, but it is written in such a way that you get immersed into it right away, there is a lot of emotion in it, and it moves quickly with lots going on, but it is all done very fluidly.  While the subject starts off grim, and gets more intense in different ways as the story progresses, it is a fairly quick read.  I found that I was breezing through the story, connected with Evie, and the next thing I knew I was at the end!  ALREADY?!?   Now don’t misunderstand me with the “easy read” part.  It is a great story that has lots going on, lots of meat to it, and while Evie obviously had a life (somewhat) beforehand, this is her “new” life so there really isn’t any history to establish, aside from the first bit of the book.  It isn’t a very intense storyline, until the last couple of chapters, that is!  Then I was anxiously reading, sitting on the proverbial "edge of my seat" holding my breath (not proverbial) to see what was going to happen!!!  I am Team Evie all the way!  And I honestly was from the very start!  I felt like I needed to protect her since she is dead to her family, she needs someone to look out for her!  All in all, I actually enjoyed this story immensely - given that I wasn't sure I would be able to read past the first couple of chapters!- and I CANNOT wait for the next book to find out just what is in store for my new friend Evie! 


LINKS:
Amazon CA – http://amzn.to/1FoUtas
Amazon US – http://amzn.to/1FoUwmF
Amazon AU – http://bit.ly/1FoUxqU
Amazon UK – http://amzn.to/1FoUz24
Goodreads – http://bit.ly/1FoUDi9



No comments:

Post a Comment